Friday, April 25, 2014

Frogs dramatic reading reflection

What are the challenges of staging an “ancient” play? I think the staging of an "ancient" play like Frogs is challenging for actors because it requires a lot of effort to remember lines and vocabularies (which most of them are difficult and tricky to pronounce), not only that, since the Frogs is a comedy, meaning that the actors need to exaggerate their actions when they act. Moreover, some contents may have lost from the translation of the play (different languages). For that reason, it is a challenge to fully interpret and stage a good ancient play in modern days. What obstacles did you have to overcome as you prepared your dramatic reading? I had tried to control my volumes, make good enunciation, and speak with emotions. For the reason that English is my second language, it is challenging for me to speak the lines fluently. I think I have overcome those obstacles because luckily most of my lines were long and complicated to read. Why do you think we still stage these pieces? Ancient play is certainly an important part of the history of drama and language arts, so I think we are still staging these pieces because by studying these pieces, we are able to understand the world and society of ancient Greeks, and more importantly, they influenced us in modern arts, philosophies, sciences, mathematics, literature, and politics. In your opinion, what is the most important thing you learned from this play/unit? I learned two remarkable Greek tragedians such as Aeschylus and Euripides and what they did to influence their audiences and the society in their own ways. Aeschylus represents old-fashioned theatre/plays. on the other side, Euripides represented new-style of theatre/plays. More importantly, in Frogs, I learned that the reason why Euripides wrote the plays was because he believed theatre/plays were responsible to teach the audience to become critical thinkers. Furthermore, I get to know the importance of drama/play was to Greek at that period of time (Festival of Dionysus), and also three types of ancient Greek plays: comedy, satyr, and tragedy.

No comments:

Post a Comment